This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on one of the links and make a purchase, we will earn a small commission at no extra charge to you. This keeps the latte brewing :) For more information see our affiliate disclosure
I have finally got the Instant Pot Italian chicken and pasta created! It took a little while and a couple oops along the way but it is now perfected. I originally created this in my Ninja Auto IQ here – Italian Chicken and Pasta. I adapted it to the Instant Pot too for you.
How to Make it in the Instant Pot
For those who have both the Ninja Auto IQ and the Instant Pot, please note the difference in steps (especially the cheese.) In the Ninja, it is throw and go. Instant Pot Italian chicken and pasta is a little more involved but delicious and worth it 🙂 Only a couple more steps, I promise.
First thing is to cut up the vegetables, garlic and chicken. Turn your Instant Pot on to Saute and allow it to heat up. Once it is hot add in the oil and onion. Saute until the onions start to become translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add in garlic and Italian seasoning. Saute for another minute and hit cancel. Stir in the cut up chicken, mixing well. Next will be layers and no mixing.
Pour the uncooked pasta over the chicken mix (do not stir.) Add the peppers on top of the pasta and pour the chicken broth over it all. Then add the can of tomatoes (juice and all) to the top. Do not stir these layers.
Put the lid on and seal the vent. Hit Pressure Cook/Manual button and adjust to 4 minutes. It took mine about 20 minutes to build up pressure, we have a 6 quart.
After the Pressure Cooking
After the 4 minute cook time, do a quick release. This will take about 2 minutes. Once the pressure is released and the pin has dropped, carefully remove the lid. Stir in the ricotta cheese. Your noodles may be slightly clumped together but trust me they are ok. They will break up as you stir in the cheese and they should be cooked perfectly. Next stir in the mozzarella cheese and place the lid back on for a couple of minutes to heat the cheeses through.
Serve and enjoy!
As a Note:
I have the 6 quart Instant Pot and all of my recipes are tested in this size. Because it comes up to the PC 1/2 in mine, it will not fit in the 3 quart. The recipe can be cut in half but it hasn’t been tested in the 3 quart, therefore I cannot guarantee the times. I haven’t used the 8 quart, but I would imagine it would work in that as well. Please share with us if you use a different size successfully!
As mentioned above, your pasta will probably appear clumped together. Give it a good stir and it will be perfect, it did cook.
Instant Pot Italian Chicken and Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast cut in bite size pieces
- 16 ounces elbow pasta uncooked
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 14.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Chop your vegetables and cut up your chicken.
- Turn Instant Pot on to Saute and allow to heat up. Once hot, add the olive oil and onion. Cook until onion starts to become translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and Italian Seasoning. Cook for 1 minute. Hit cancel on Instant Pot.
- Add in the chicken and stir well.
- Add this in exact layers and do not stir:NoodlesPeppersChicken BrothTomatoes
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Hit Pressure Cook/Manual button and adjust the time to 4 minutes. It will take approximately 20 minutes for this to build up pressure before cooking.Once done, do a quick release.
- When the pin drops, carefully remove lid. Stir in the ricotta cheese. The noodles will appear clumped together, they are cooked and will be separated as you stir in cheese. No worries, they are ok.
- Next stir in the mozzarella cheese and put lid back on for a few minutes to allow cheese to warm up. Serve and enjoy!