This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on one of the links and make a purchase, we will earn a small commission at no extra charge to you. This keeps the latte brewing :) For more information see our affiliate disclosure
This morning I really wanted to make pancakes and I had blueberries in the freezer. But then I also noticed that I had 2 ripe bananas that were starting to get brown and I knew they wouldn’t make it much longer. Wondering what it would taste like, I decided to make blueberry banana pancakes. I got some funny looks from everybody in the house when I told them what is for breakfast. And I have to admit that they did sound a little bit strange at first to me too. Well, they were a hit! Our poor dog didn’t even get to try one, they were all gone at breakfast – never happens with pancakes.
I rarely make normal pancakes here, but this was the first time I had considered blueberries and bananas in them. I have had them on top of pancakes together, but not in them. We also sometimes enjoy both fruits on crepes with some whipped cream!
Making Blueberry Banana Pancakes
I have to say upfront that these pancakes are a little more moist and they are thin, but they are delicious. They are not light and fluffy pancakes like traditional pancakes. Having said that, let’s get ready to cook some breakfast!
Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl – the flour, sugar and baking powder. Melt the butter and let it sit for a minute or two. Thaw out your blueberries unless you are using fresh ones.
Next you want to mash the bananas into a bowl. Using a hand mixer, combine the egg in with the banana. This is the only part to use a mixer, the rest is by hand. It will be slightly lumpy and you only need to mix it for a minute. Add in the vanilla and milk. Stir to combine.
Pour the butter into the banana mix and stir well. Next add the dry ingredients into the banana mix and stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy, but that is ok. Add in the blueberries, stirring just enough to mix them in.
Cooking Blueberry Banana Pancakes
Cooking them is just like cooking other pancakes except that the banana in them makes them easier to burn. These take about the same amount of time to cook as regular pancakes. You also judge when to flip them the same, but they are not lenient about adding extra time.
I cook mine on a preheated pan for about 2 minutes on each side. My burner is set to medium for pancakes. To determine if your pan is hot enough, splash a couple of drops of water onto it and the drops should dance.
Blueberry Banana Pancakes
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Melt butter and let it stand for a minute while you prepare the rest. Thaw blueberries unless you are using fresh.
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a small bowl.
- In a medium size bowl, mash the bananas with fork. Add the egg and use a hand mixer to combine for 1 minute.
- Add milk and vanilla to the banana mix, using a fork to combine. Add in the butter and mix with fork.
- Add flour mix to the banana mix and stir with the fork just until it is combined. This will be lumpy. Pour the blueberries in and stir just enough to mix them in batter.
- Preheat your pan on medium until water drops dance on it when you test it. Drop just a couple drops of water to test. Add batter to the pan to create the size pancake you would like. Cook for about 2 minutes, flip and cook for another 2 minutes.
- I keep them on a plate covered with foil until they are all cooked or if your oven has a keep warm, you can put them on a plate in there as well.Enjoy!